The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Meet Stephanie Campbell Author of Dragon Night


Pull up your chair and grab your coffee or tea and meet this delightful artist who paints such a vivid picture of her world you may never want to leave it. Her broad strokes and rich color of words will pull you in.
Leave her a comment and she will pick at random a winner of Dragon Night. Just make sure you have your email address posted in the comment.


BLURB
Ever since he could remember, Ford was treated cruelly by his parents, Liddy and Wicker Forks. He cannot figure out why they hate him so much. It is only when he discovers that his father isn’t really Wicker Forks but instead is a mysterious, red-eyed stranger that he goes on a quest to find his true identity—and much, much more.
            As he heads forward down the path of danger and illusion, he uncovers a world that he had never imagined, a world of dragons. Ford must decide who he is—a dragon or a boy—and whichever path he chooses will be his future for forever. After all, once you are a dragon, there is no going back.

Stephanie Campbell is the author of Dragon Night and Poachers. Along with writing, she likes running, reading and eating frozen yogurt. Look for her next books available in 2012: Case Closed (Mary Keith Publications), P.S. I Killed My Mother (Solstice Publishing), Hot Wheels (Musa Publishing),  and Tasting Silver (Turquoise Morning Press).

Do you do anything to get you into the zone to write?

Nope, not at all. I am blessed that way. My problem is more getting out of the "writer" zone and moving into the living zone. I think I would be perfectly content with locking myself in my house and writing all day long. I love writing more than anything else in the world, and I think that it's something I carry with me always, no matter what.

 Which authors inspire your writing?

Actually, any author I'm reading at the time. (A weird response, I know. ) Everybody has such individualistic writing techniques, and I love that. It's actually that individuality that makes me want to hop on my computer right away.

What is your favorite book, character and why?

Artemis Fowl and, um, Artemis Fowl. He is such a refreshing character. Twelve-year-old evil genius out to get money. Eoin Colfer, the author, makes you cheer for the bad guy. It takes a really talented person to do that.

Do you prefer to write erotic or sweet?

You are about to catch a glimpse of my wishy-washy personality. I like them both. When I begin to write a book, I feel like I am no longer myself. I feel that the characters decide who they want to be, and the story gets built around them and their wishes. Sometimes I am convinced that my stories write themselves.

Which famous person, living or dead, are you drawn to?

Edgar Allen Poe. Despite my draw to YA literature, I prefer to write creepy, dark stories. I think he is a genius. One of my goals is to win the Edgar Allen Poe Award. I always want to go to his grave, especially on the anniversary of his death. A man like him deserves the utmost honor.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

I am a big dream. I would love to be a New York Times bestseller, a USA Today bestseller, a Nobel Prize winner, a National Book Award winner, and a Hugo Award winner. I can see myself on the Today Show and Good Morning America. I can imagine myself in the middle of one of my books-turned-movie's premier.  

My logical self, though, would be just happy to be able to support myself by writing alone. No more night shifts, no more two jobs.

Finish this sentence: I know I’ve made it when my book shows up in the airport bookstore?

What advice would you give aspiring writers?

This advice will probably cause eye rolls, but my advice is to never, ever give up. It's a massive test. You'll pass it if you can believe you can. 

What do you see yourself writing in the future?

Everything. Seriously. I have so many ideas in so many different genres spiraling around in my head.

If you could have one superpower what would it be and why?

Oh, I love this question! Mind control. I would love it. That way, I could use my superpower to get everybody else's superpower. I could just tell them what I want them to do. (Strangely enough, I am a pushover in real life. Maybe that's why I like that superpower so much.)

What time of the day are you at your best to write?

Daytime. I am not a night person at all. My mind functions well in the morning and gets all foggy toward the evening. At night, I don't even have the energy to read. Of course, that could be because I work so hard.

And now for something completely different…

Good! I like different.

What do you look at first with an attractive man or woman, face, body or smile?

Eyes. I am the biggest sucker for them. It doesn't even have to be a particular color. If I look you in the face and I feel that I have been electrocuted, then you've got me. (Which has happened only twice with strangers I would never have the guts to talk to.)

Explain your perfect day.

Get up. Step on the scale to discover that I've lost ten pounds. I go for a perfect run. I then check my email to see that I got an offer to be flown to New York to go on the Today Show. I also have an offer from Publishers Weekly. After that, a magical paycheck fairy comes and distributes two million dollars into my bank account, so that way I can spend my afternoon house hunting in Boston. A literary agent gives me a call at long last because no matter how many publishers I get, I can't seem to get an agent. He/she wants to work with me to bring Specimen X, my latest book, to market.

Upon taking myself out to a movie and an ice cream, I stumble into Mr. McDream whose is smart, respectful and funny. It's love at first sight. I then end my day in a luxurious bubble bath filled with flower smelling bath gel.



What is the most decadent desert you can’t say no to?

The Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. I can feel my butt growing upon looking at it, but it is SO good!

Do you have a favorite holiday? What is it and what makes it special to you?

Memorial Day. Weird, right? It really, truly is my favorite. More than Christmas or Easter. Every year, I go down to Mesquite, Nevada and spend three days basking at the pool and drinking brightly colored daiquiris.

What key words describe you best?

Eager.


1 comment:

  1. Wow your book dragon night sounds awesome, I am a huge dragon fan, I try to read as much as I can about them.

    I loved the interview too, I love your perfect day - LOL Here lately I have been on a carb diet and it does work, I lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks and every time i'd get on my scale I would see the numbers fall and eat it up - LOL

    I have a weekness for cheesecake too. LOL

    Have a wonderful day!

    mrsqueentutt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete