The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Author Spotlights Karyn Gerrard's Black Desire


I am very pleased to bring you one of the most prolific writers I know. Today she is here to talk about her latest release Black Desire and so many other yummy releases coming our way.

BLURB:
Blackthorne Clan, 2
Tristan Black of the Blackthorne Clan has known heartache and pain. He is a Dhampyre (half-Vampire) and most would say blessed with extreme longevity. Tristan would say cursed as he observed the long, slow decline and then death of his human wife due to old age while he seemingly aged not a day. Now seventy years later, he meets Katrina Hammond who piques his interest.
Katrina is a romance writer on summer vacation when she meets the mysterious and dangerously sexy Tristan. Katrina now finds herself in the middle of a clash between the Blackthorne Clan and a pack of Thropes (wolf shape-shifters).
Can Tristan protect Katrina, and can he protect his heart?
She awakened feelings in him he thought he would not have again. He considered these passions to be little more than vampiric mythology. She awakened his...black desire.


  
Do you prefer to write erotic or sweet?

Erotic, but I like to add sweet in there as well. A couple of reviewers have called my stories 'hot and sweet', like a good cup of hot chocolate. I think it fits.  Everyone has their own opinion what is erotic or erotica, I put myself in the 'Erotic romance' category. I'm all about the emotion. Hot sex spices things up, but it is not the main thrust (no pun intended!) of my books.


Where do you see yourself in five years?

I hope, still writing.  As long as it remains fun, I will keep doing it.

Finish this sentence: I know I’ve made it when_______________?

I think I answered this before by saying 10 releases. Yikes, I'm there. Don't quite feel I've 'made it'. I think in a few years I will feel that way if I have consistent, steady sales and name recognition and the respect of my fellow authors and readers. Then, I will have made it!
What advice would you give aspiring writers?

Never give up. Keep writing. Write what you love. Get the story down first, then go back and edit.  Don't take any rejection personally (easy to say, I know) Jump back in the trenches~

What do you see yourself writing in the future?

I write in multi-genres and time periods now, so I can continue to see me spread it out all over!

Do you consider your writing a job or a hobby?

For me, it's a hobby, but one I take very seriously. Someone told me, 'you get paid! It's a job!' I suppose, but in my own mind and this is just my own opinion, telling myself it's a hobby keeps most of the stress at bay. Working for me so far!


What time of the day are you at your best to write?

When the teacher hubs is at school, Monday to Friday. I put on a pot of tea, fire up the music and indulge in my self-made fantasy worlds and interact with my dark, sexy heroes.

What can you tell us about the Blackthorne Clan Series at Evernight?

BLACK LUST was the first book, about Lucius Black. It takes place in a fictional town in the U.K. Book 2 is BLACK DESIRE and focuses on Lucius's father, Tristan who is a Dhampyre (half-vampire) The story and series shifts to a fictional coastal town on the South Shore of Nova Scotia, Canada. This series is heavy on emotion with a dash of angst and my own paranormal mythos.

Will there be any more books in the series?

Book 3 is finished, about Tristan's pure-blood father, Deegan. Also 2/3 finished book 4. I think that will be the last, but I am leaving it open should I return to it someday, you just never know. Book 4 is about Marcus. Marcus appears in book 2 and 3. In Black Desire, he is a Thrope (wolf shape shifter). What happens to him through book 2 and 3 culminates in book 4. So far, it's heartbreaking and it would a good place to end the series, I think.
I am not submitting the next book (3) until the fall, and of course, it has to be accepted! Hopefully I will be finished book 4 by then as well. I am taking the summer off so I am trying to stagger my possible releases. Who wants to edit on vacation? :D

What upcoming projects do you want to tell us about?

I am really excited about my upcoming release on June 30th with Silver Publishing. It's called HEART OF ROCK. It's an erotic romance novella set in 1974. The hero is a rock star from Ireland. The blurb is here at Goodreads: 

Also another I am excited about is with Breathless Press. I co-wrote this short novella with my crit partner and writing buddy and soon-to-be published author Gayl Taylor. It's called THE HERO SANDWICH. Even though it has F/M/F and Cougar elements, it is at heart, a romance. Big time.  Not sure on a release date for that.

And I also was just offered a contract at Decadent Publishing for my Paranormal/erotic romance/contemporary novella MY VAMPIRE COVER MODEL. Hmmm. I may be editing on vacation after all!


And now for something completely different…


What do you look at first with an attractive man or woman, face, body or smile?

Shallow as it sounds, body. If a guy is tall and broad shouldered, he's got my attention!

Explain your perfect day.

At the beach, reading romance and drinking iced tea. Can't wait for the summer!


What is the most decadent desert you can’t say no to?

I'm not into gooey, sweet desserts. Place a slice of cherry pie in front of me and watch me moan! (With real whipped cream!)

Do you have a favorite holiday what is it and what makes it special to you?

Christmas for sure. I have a ton of great memories. Also love the whole atmosphere, music, smells, sights and of course, left-over turkey sandwiches made with squishy white bread and Miracle Whip!

8 comments:

  1. I hope there is more than four books for the Blackthorne Clan, but all good things must come to an end. I've read a lot of good things about Black Desire. Sounds like an amazing book. Can't wait to read it.

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Joanne! I never say never, so it may go beyond 4 books later down the road. Hope you enjoy Black Desire, cheers~

      Delete
  2. Very fun interview. The book sounds very good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the interview, Karren Gerrard is a new author to me. I can't wait to read about the Blackthorn Clan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! My fingers got away with me and I miss spelled her name! Eep! I'll be looking for Karyn's books right away!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for commenting Susan! Hope you enjoy my paranormal series~

      Delete
  4. Thanks for having to your blog, Shannan! Cheers! ♥

    ReplyDelete