The Romance Reviews

The Romance Reviews

Friday, March 7, 2014

Author Spotlight on Patricia Layne

I am very pleased to have Patricia Layne on my blog today. She has a very exciting new book out and I was able to entice her to share.
So, grab your coffee and nestle in close while we get to know a bit more about this very talented author.
 
 
 
 
Do you do anything to get you into the zone to write? Turn on the music. Classic rock is my go-to selection for a long writing session. Pink Floyd is always good. Or depending upon my mood, I might switch it up and throw on some John Denver.
 Which authors inspire your writing? There have been a bunch of them. (I read a lot.)  Anne McCaffey and Mercedes Lackey are among my favorites and taught me a lot about strong female characters. I also enjoy Craig Johnson, the author of the Longmire series. I started reading his books long before they got turned into a TV series.
What is your favorite book, character and why? Do I have to pick one? Okay, I'll pick Tarma in Oathbound by  Mercedes Lackey.  She is the perfect kick-ass heroine who can hold her own in a fight against just about anyone or anything but never betrays family and friendship.
 Do you prefer to write erotic or sweet? I prefer sweet with a touch of heat. Call me old-fashioned, but unless the details of the sex act are important to the story, I don't need the physical details. I trust my readers can fill in the blanks when I close the bedroom door.
Which famous person, living or dead,  are you drawn to? John Denver. His music encouraged me to move out West, and continues to inspire me. When I'm not in the mood for Classic Rock, I frequently listen to his albums. I have a large collection of his albums—on vinyl!
 Where do you see yourself in five years? Believe it not, the same place I am today. I have a good job that gives me time for writing, and I live close to where I like to spend my time–the mountains. When I get rich, maybe I’ll move into a small town way up in the mountains.
 Finish this sentence: I know I’ve made it when I develop a fan base that can't wait for my next release.
 What advice would you give aspiring writers? Write. Even if it's bad, the act of getting your thoughts written out will help you become better.
 What do you see yourself writing in the future? I'm currently working on a mystery with a strong romantic element. Some of my readers have asked me to write a sequel to my current book, Wolves' Pawn, and that's a possibility. One of the minor characters has been bugging me to write her story.
 If you could have one superpower what would it be and why? I don't know if you would consider it a superpower, but I'd love to be a healer. I've known too many people with medical issues that even our modern medicine can't fix, and I'd love to be able to help them.
 What time of the day are you at your best to write? Evenings. I work a full-time job and although I might get some writing done on my breaks, I can concentrate on my story in the evenings.
 
 
And now for something completely different…
 What do you look at first with an attractive man or woman, face, body or smile? It's the eyes. Always the eyes.  After that the smile.
 Explain your perfect day. A lazy day when I can sleep in, then get up and watch a gentle snow fall while sipping on a cup of hot chocolate. Eventually I’d start writing, and the words would flow easily. I’d finish the day reading a good book while snuggling with my hubby.
What is the most decadent desert you can’t say no to? Chocolate anything, and the more chocolate the better. So double chocolate cake with fudge frosting and a heavy drizzle of chocolate syrup. A dab of whipped cream on top won't hurt.
 Do you have a favorite holiday what is it and what makes it special to you? I don't really have a “favorite” holiday. I enjoy any holiday that gives me time to spend with my family.
 What key words describe you best? I always hate this sort of question, but I'll give it my best shot. Patient, caring and creative come to mind. But I can also be stubborn when I want to be.
 
 
There are very few ladies I've met you don't love chocolate. If they don't I start to worry lol! I love your key words to describe yourself. All authors seem to be stubborn, it must be an inbred trait for any of us who write.
Alright, the suspense is killing me and I know my readers would love to know about your book.
 
 
 
 
Blurb for Wolves' Pawn :
 
 Dot McKenzie is a lone wolf-shifter on the run, using everything available to her to stay one step ahead of her pursuers. When she is offered a chance for friendship and safety with the Fairwood pack, she accepts.
 
            Gavin Fairwood, reluctant heir for Fairwood pack leadership, is content to let life happen while he waits.  Old longings surface when he appoints himself as Dot’s protector and becomes more than a friend.
 
            Dot goes into hiding again when her presence puts the pack and her new friends at risk. When old enemies threaten the destruction of the Fairwood pack, it will take the combined efforts of Dot and Gavin to save it. But can anything save their love and Dot’s life when she becomes a pawn in a pack leader’s deadly game.
 
 
Except:
        Dot waited for instinct to scream at her, but it stayed silent. She didn’t have the energy to run any more anyway. He held out his hand to help her up. “The Jeep is just on the other side of the hill. Do you think you can make it or do you need to rest more? We’re good for now, but I still want to get out of here as soon as possible.”
            She grasped his hand and pulled herself up. He gently put his arm around her waist to support her while she found her balance. His nearness proved comforting and disturbing at the same time, but her legs were still rubbery and she clung to him. “Do you want me to carry you?” he asked.
            She studied him. With his build, he probably could carry her without a problem. Suddenly shy, she pulled away from him. “Give me a minute. I will be all right.”  
            “We have water in the Jeep and a blanket. It’s getting late, and I don’t want you to get a chill. We’ll head down the road and meet up with Dmitri and take you someplace safe.”
            Things were happening too fast. If she closed her eyes and shut him out she might be able to think clearly. “Who are you, and why should I go with you?”
            “Sorry, we haven’t been officially introduced.” She opened her eyes to a sparkling smile. The self-control she was fighting for rushed away again. “I’m Gavin Fairwood and if I’m correct you’re Dot McKenzie. The rest we can talk about later.”
 
 
Where can we buy your book?
Wolves' Pawn is available only on Amazon for now. The US buy link is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVDD1G4

 


No comments:

Post a Comment